Monday, February 28, 2011

Cool Things for the iPhone Found in Cydia

To further elaborate on my previous post about all of the different kinds of customizations I am capable of doing with a jailbroken iPhone through Cydia, I want to talk about other features that don’t appear to be so obvious since they aren’t visible to the eyes such as different fonts. There are various utility apps and packages that can be downloaded that are pretty cool and helpful. It definitely pushes the limit and allows me to use my iPhone to its fullest potential.

My all time favorite package is called “MyWi w/ OnDemand”. It allows me to tether my phone with my laptop, and it’s really useful when I travel since I won’t have to pay extra to use the internet at hotels or resort to sitting in the lobby in my pjs in order to use the free wifi that’s offered. I’ll basically be able to use my phone as a modem and connect my laptop to it wirelessly to get online; my laptop will use the internet from my phone. Keep in mind that charges apply and can pile up so use it minimally unless you have an unlimited data package for your phone. As long as the phone has access to EDGE or 3G, you’ll be online!

Has anyone ever called and bothered you even though you’ve asked them to stop calling? Are you trying to avoid or forget about someone but are tempted to pick up every time you see that person’s name show up on your caller id? Are people continuously calling your phone asking for a different person even though you’ve told them multiple times that they have the wrong phone number? There is this extremely useful package that can be downloaded called “iBlacklist”. This app is truly unbelievable. It allows me to create a blacklist for the numbers that I want to block or a whitelist for the numbers that I want to allow. Not only that, it’ll block “unknown” and “blocked” numbers as well. It’ll also block text messages. The best thing about all this is the fact that I’m able to view those blocked calls and messages and choose whether or not I want to be notified or opt out of the notifications. With this app, I’ll never have to debate whether or not I should change my number for the sole purpose of avoiding calls or texts from certain people since it’ll filter it out automatically with the chosen settings.

Another thing that I find to be interesting is something called “iDitDahText”. Text is entered by Morse code through “dits” and “dahs”. There are actually great advantages to learning this system since it allows a person to enter 50 words per minute, perhaps even more. Not only that, with the constant feedback that I get, I will no longer have to look while I type in order to enter the text or see whether or not I’m entering it correctly. It would have been good to implement this strategy before texting while driving became illegal. For those who still text and drive, this may be a “safer” alternative.

Ever since the industrial revolution, so many big changes has happened that leads us to where we are today. Sometimes I wonder whether all of these extra things are necessary and deny that I’m dependent upon it even though I know I waste a lot of time playing around on my phone, but I’m sure glad we’ve come this far. I’m sure our advancements will continue to grow in the future and at a faster rate. No matter what, we’ll always have a sense of expectation that there will continually be more.

2 comments:

  1. I thought your blog post was very interesting and I had no idea how many different ways there were to jailbreak your phone! You bring up an interesting point we discussed in class about how the user becomes the producer and it was great to see a real world application of this idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked this post because I am constantly amazed at just how many things people can do with their phone's nowadays. I feel as though jailbreaking phones is a really cool concept because its customizing technology to fit your own needs, a clear form of innovation.

    ReplyDelete